Facts and rankings
Get to know VCU
We believe discovery and creativity go hand in hand. We believe in creating good ideas that really help people. We believe in the students we educate and the more than 200 programs we offer them. And we believe our grit, our relationship with the city, and our commitment to diversity and access set us apart from your average college. Here are some stats and facts that tell you who we are.
Black and gold
Rodney the Ram
- 29,417 students enrolled
- 18:1 student-faculty ratio
- 2,501 full-time faculty
- 205,456 alums
Our graduate schools and programs ranked in the top 50
1st Fine Arts — Sculpture
1st Nurse Anesthesia
2nd Fine Arts — Printmaking
3rd Fine Arts — Glass
4th Fine Arts
4th Fine Arts — Graphic Design
4th Rehabilitation Counseling
5th Health Care Management
5th Time-based New Media
10th Education — Online
12th Fine Arts — Painting/Drawing
12th Nursing Administration — Online
15th Occupational Therapy
15th Special Education — Online
19th Educational Administration — Online
19th Social Policy
20th Physical Therapy
22nd Nuclear Engineering
25th Social Work
26th Best Education Schools
28th Urban Policy
32nd Nursing — Online
33rd Best Nursing Schools: Master's
34th Public Management and Leadership
38th Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
38th Public Affairs
43rd Clinical Psychology
These rankings are based on the most recent U.S. News & World Report Best Graduate School rankings and Best Online Colleges rankings. Find more rankings.
We add to Richmond’s coolness factor.
$6 billion economic impact as Richmond’s largest employer
1.3 million hours of service by students equaling $30 million in volunteer work
40% of alums live in Richmond
$2 million+ raised in investment and revenue by student startups
82% full time
87% Virginia residents
1,586 first professionals
1,585 transfer students
1,089 Honors students
983 international students, representing 103 countries
5,267 residence hall capacity
Undergraduate tuition, fees and financial aid*
Virginia resident: $14,710
Room and board: $11,035
Average financial aid awarded to full-time undergraduates seeking assistance in 2018-19: $17,153
About one-third of VCU’s undergraduates are Pell eligible, and we make sure these students succeed, graduating at nearly the same rate as students who do not receive Pell grants.
* Based on 15 credit hours per semester and 30 credit hours for the 2020-21 year.
- Top 100 National Science Foundation research university
- Top 3 Virginia research university
- $335 million in sponsored research in fiscal year 2020
Our research and innovation
- Awarded $25 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to lower cost of lifesaving drugs. The College of Engineering leads this multidepartment and multi-university research collaborative.
- Leads a $50 million federally funded collaboration to study traumatic brain injury on service members and veterans
- Interdisciplinary research strengths include neuroscience; cancer; substance abuse and addiction; the human microbiome; and nanoscience, nanomedicine and nanotechnology
- No. 20 nationally for addiction studies research, per National Institutes of Health
- No. 38 nationally for neuroscience research, per National Institutes of Health
- One of only 71 universities nationwide to be designated by the Carnegie Foundation
as “Community Engaged” with “Very High Research Activity”
Largest employer in Richmond
23,382 employees at VCU and VCU Health System
709 full-time classified staff members
2,909 full-time university and academic professionals
2,501 full-time faculty members
692 part-time adjunct faculty members
No. 1 hospital in Richmond
- VCU Medical Center is both the region’s safety net hospital and its No. 1-ranked hospital. It is the only Level I trauma center in the region that is verified in burn, pediatric and adult trauma care.
- More than 11,000 employees
- More than 95,000 Emergency Department visits per year
- More than 779,000 outpatient clinic visits per year
- More than 39,000 inpatient discharges per year
Just how big is our campus?
169 acres in downtown Richmond
Branch campuses and satellite locations:
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center
- VCUarts Qatar
- VCU Health satellite locations
- VCU Rice Rivers Center
- VCU School of Medicine Inova Fairfax Campus
- VCU School of Pharmacy Inova Campus
- VCU School of Pharmacy University of Virginia Division
Looking for even more facts about VCU?
Explore the latest facts and figures.
VCU is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of VCU may be directed in writing to SACSCOC at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
For more information, visit provost.vcu.edu/academics/accreditation.
For information on specialized university program accreditations or certifications, please visit the department or office website of which the program is a part, or view this list of specialized accreditations by college or school.
Student consumer information
Students and prospective students may find the information resources of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia of use in planning for college and careers. SCHEV has created an institutional profile for each Virginia public college and university, and for each independent college or university participating in the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program.