Special Feature: Poetry and the Colonies
David Latané, "Introduction"
"Henry Clay -- Racist or Not?"
"Poetical Patriotism: Canadian Children's Poetry and Nationalist Discourse in the Late Victorian Period"
Mary Ellis Gibson
"Poems of Mary Carshore: The Indian Legacy of L.E.L. and Tom Moore"
Colonial Poems: a Selection
Mary Fortune, "Conjuro Te";
Contributed by Lucy Sussex
Toru Dutt, "The Legend of Dhruva" and "The Royal Ascetic and the Hind";
Contributed by Chris Foss
Thomas Cowherd, "Tinsmith's Song";
Contributed by Kathryn Carter
J. Timothy Lovelace,
"The Secret of the Gods in Tennyson's 'Tiresias'"
"In Graceful Service to the Queen (Bee): The Politics of the Hive in Tennyson's The Princess"
"Track of the Sphinx: H. G. Wells, the Modern Universe, and the Decay of Aestheticism"
"'Many Worlds More': Feminine Imagination in Jean Ingelow's Gladys and Her Island and Mopsa the Fairy"
"Victorian Fictions of the Nerves: Telepathy and Depression in Wilkie Collins’s The Two Destinies"
Rev. of Capital Offenses: Geographies of Class and Crime in Victorian London, by Simon Joyce
James H. Murphy,
Rev. of Anti-Catholicism and Nineteenth-Century Fiction, by Susan M. Griffin
Paul R. Deslandes,
Rev. of Masters of Theory: Cambridge and the Rise of Mathematical Physics, Andrew Warwick
Rev. of Spurious Ghosts: The Fantastic Tales of Vernon Lee, by Mary Patricia Kane
Rev. of Sherlock's Sisters: The British Female Detective, 1864-1913, by Joseph A. Kestner
Rev. of The Idea of a Colony: Cross-Culturalism in Modern Poetry, by Edward Marx
Linda H. Peterson,
Rev. of The Hour and the Woman: Harriet Martineau's "Somewhat Remarkable" Life by Deborah Logan, and Writings on Slavery and the American Civil War. and Harriet Martineau's Writing on the British Empire, ed. by Deborah Logan.
Rev. of Bloom: The Botanical Vernacular in the English Novel, by Amy M. King
Rev. of Florence Fenwick Miller: Victorian Feminist, Journalist, and Educator, by Rosemary T. Van Arsdel
Editors' Choice --
Victoria C. Olsen, From Life: The Story of Julia Margaret Cameron and Victorian Photography
Catherine Robson, Men in Wonderland: The Lost Girlhood of the Victorian Gentleman
William Baker, Wilkie Collins's Library—a Reconstruction
Volume 31 (2003)
Special Feature: Ghosts of the Victorian
Elisabeth Gruner, "Introduction"
"Spiritual Warnings: The Ghost Stories of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu"
Samuel L. Gladden,
"Passages: The Long and Difficult Death of the Victorian Era, 1893-1945"
"'No voice is hushed': Ada McGrath's Buried Life"
Louisa A. Hadley,
"Spectres of the Past: A. S. Byatt's Victorian Ghost Stories"
"Eccentricity and Authenticity: Fact into Fiction"
"Rev. of Charles Dickens in Cyberspace by Jay Clayton and Functions of Victorian Culture at the Present Time ed. by Christine L. Krueger
Essays on Fiction
"Opera in the Family: Eliot's Daniel Deronda"
"Dangerous Subversives: The Role of Painters in Sensation Fiction"
"Property Morality in The Mill on the Floss"
"Wilkie Collins's Notes for The Moonstone"
Terry L. Meyers,
"William Morris on Prostitution: A Letter of August 17, 1885"
"An Unnoticed Really Bad Review of Browning's Strafford"
Reviews and Review-essays
Paula Marantz Cohen,
"Rev. of Victorian Literature and the Anorexic Body by Anna Krugovoy Silver"
"Rev. of The Theological and Ethical Writings of Frances Power Cobbe, 1822-1904 by Sandra J. Peacock"
Leila S. May,
"Rev. of The Flirt's Tragedy: Desire Without End in Victorian and Edwardian Fiction by Richard A. Kaye"
"Rev. of Chastity and Transgression in Women's Writing, 1792-1897: Interrupting the Harlot's Progress by Roxanne Eberle"
"Rev. of Victorian Modernism: Pragmatism and the Varieties of Aesthetic Experience by Jessica R. Feldman"
"Rev. of Henry and Mary Ponsonby: Life at the Court of Queen Victoria by William N. Kuhn"
"Rev. of George Eliot: A Bibliographical History by William Baker and John Ross"
"Rev. of Women's Poetry and Religion in Victorian England. Jewish Identity and Christian Culture by Cynthia Scheinberg"
Volume 30 (2002)
Special Feature: Contemporary poets / Victorian poems
- Dana Smith, "Every Man for His Own Hand"
- Rodney Pybus, "Mariana Now"
- Talvikki Ansel, "Thin Border"
- Laura Callanan,
"So Help Me God, the Truth and Not the Truth¹: Hyper-Realism and the Taxonomy of Truth-Seeking in the Royal Commission¹s Inquiry into the 1865 Jamaica Rebellion"
- Donald Ulin,
"Seeing the Country, Imagining a Nation: Tourism and Ideology in William Howitt¹s Rural Life of England"
- Marie LaMonaca,
"Virgins and Martyrs: Heroic Spinsterhood in Elizabeth Missing Sewell's The Experience of Life"
- Virginia Zimmerman,
"The Victorian Geologist: Reading the Relic and Writing Time"
- Kristina Deffenbacher,
"The Psychic Architecture of Urban Domestic Heroines: North and South and Little Dorrit"
- Terry L. Meyers,
"John Nichol¹s Visit to Virginia, 1865: 'The James River'"
- John Kinsella,
The Case of Elizabeth Deborah Brockman, Western Australian Poet
- Lydia Murdoch,
"Rev. of Unknown London: Early Modernist Visions of the Metropolis, 1815-45, ed. John Marriott"
- Deborah A. Logan,
"Rev. of Women and Literature in Britain 1800-1900, ed. Joanne Shattock"
- Marlene Tromp,
"Rev. of Time is of the Essence: Temporality, Gender, and the New Woman, by Patricia Murphy"
- Roxanne Eberle,
"Rev. of Victorian Babylon: People, Streets and Images in Nineteenth-Century London by Lynda Nead"
- Catherine Waters,
"Rev. of Dickens and Heredity: When Like Begets Like, by Goldie Morgentaler"
- Sophia Andres,
"Rev. of George Eliot And The British Empire, by Nancy Henry"
- Helen Pike Bauer,
"Rev. of Late Ruskin: New Contexts, by Francis O¹Gorman, and
The Rescue of Romanticism: Walter Pater and John Ruskin, by Kenneth Daley"
- Alison Case,
"Rev. of The Victorian Governess Novel, by Cecilia Wadsö Lecaros"
- Kris Lackey,
"Rev. of Transcendental Wordplay: America¹s Romantic Punsters and the Search for the Language of Nature, by Michael West"
- Andrew Maunder,
"Rev. of William Tinsley (1831-1902): "Speculative Publisher, by Peter Newbolt"
- Robert P. Fletcher,
"Rev. of Harems of the Mind: Passages of Western Art and Literature, by Ruth Bernard Yeazell"
- Michelle Mouton,
"Rev. of The Political Pamphlets and Letters of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and Related Pieces: A Mathematical Approach, ed. Francine F. Abeles"
- Kay Heath,
"Rev. of The Anthology and the Rise of the Novel, by Leah Price"
- Editors¹ Choices (reviews of Laura Green, Educating Women; Leila May, Disorderly Sisters; Lynne Vallone, Becoming Victoria; Martin Garrett, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert Browning)
Volume 29 (2001)
Special Feature: Literature & the Other Arts
- F. S. Schwarzbach, "Twelve Ways of Looking at a Staffordshire Figurine:
An Essay in Cultural Studies"
- Elizabeth Howells, "On the Commodification of Eastern Art: John Frederick
Lewis’s The Hhareem of 1850."
- John R. Reed, "Jude’s Music: Music as Theme and Structure in Hardy’s
Jude the Obscure"
- Martin Danahay, "Sexuality and the Working-Class Child’s Body in Music
- Charles Brownell, "Rev. of E. W. Godwin, Aesthetic Movement Architect
and Designer, ed. Susan Weber Soros; and The Secular Furniture of
E. W. Godwin, with a Catalogue Raisonné by Susan Weber Soros"
- Srdjan Smajic, "Rev. of The Victorians and the Visual Imagination
by Kate Flint"
- Jonathan Silverman, "Rev. of Caverns of Night: Coal Mines in Art,
Literature, and Film, ed. William B. Thesing"
- Victoria Olsen, "Rev. of The Shock of the Real: Romanticism and
Visual Culture, 1760-1860 by Gillen D'Arcy Wood
- Rebecca Steinitz, "Travel Domesticity and Genre in Queen Victoria’s
Journal of Our Life in the Highlands"
- Aeron Haynie, "A Colonial Woman in the Literature of Empire: Margaret
Oliphant’s The Doctor’s Family
- William Baker, "'What a certainty of instinctive faith I have in heaven,
and in the Mama’s living on': Unpublished letters of Mrs. Gaskell and unpublished
Gaskell family letters"
- Meri-Jane Rochelson, "Rev. of Amy Levy: Her Life and Letters
, by Linda Hunt Beckman"
- Ellen Bayuk Rosenman. "Rev. of The Spectacle of Intimacy: A Public
Life for the Victorian Family, by Karen Chase and Michael Levenson"
- Nicholas Frankel. "Rev. of The Fin de Siècle: A Reader in
Cultural History c. 1880-1900, ed. By Sally Ledger and Roger Luckhurst;
and New Woman Poets: An Anthology, ed. Linda Hughes"
- Pamela K. Gilbert, "Rev. of Raw Material: Producing Pathology in
Victorian Culture, by Erin O’Connor"
- Susan Walsh, "Rev. of Allegories of Union in Irish and English
Writing, 1790-1870: Politics, History, and the Family from Edgeworth to Arnold
., by Mary Jean Corbett"
- Thomas J. Collins, "Rev. of The Cambridge Companion to Victorian
Poetry, ed. Joseph Bristow"
- Andrew Stauffer, "Rev. of Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert
Browning: Interviews and Recollections, ed. Martin Garrett"
- Mary Ellis Gibson, "Rev. of Traditions of Women’s Autobiography:
The Poetics and Politics of Life Writing by Linda Peterson"
Volume 28 (2000)
- Adrienne Munich, "Good and Plenty: Queen Victoria Figures the Imperial
- Ernest Fontana, "The Victorian Railway Poem: Rossetti to Hardy
- Samuel Lyndon Gladden, "'Sebastian melmoth': Wilde's Parisian Exile
as the Spectacle of Sexual, Textual Revolution
- Temma Berg, "The Unruly Bodies of Evelyn De Morgan
- Linda Gill, "The Unpardonable Sin: Lockwood's Dream in Emily Bronte's
- Albert D. Pionke, "Secreting Rebellion: From the Mutiny to the Moonstone"
- Leslee Zillmer, "An Alpine Friendship: Unpublished Letters of John
Ruskin to Emma Forman"
- Paul Lewis, "Wilkie's Words: New Letters by Collins on the Web"
- LuAnn McCracken Fletcher, "Rev. of Plotting Women: Gender
and Narration in the Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century British Novel
by Alison Case"
- Christine Alfano, "Rev. of George Eliot and Intoxication: Dangerous
Drugs for the Condition of England by Kathleen McCormack"
- Brenda Ayres, "Rev. of Kindred Nature: Victorian and Edwardian
Women Embrace the Living World by Barbara Gates"
- John Marx, "Rev. of Writing the Urban Jungle: Reading Empire in
London from Doyle to Eliot by Joseph McLaughlin"
- The Child, the State, and the Victorian Novel by Laura Berry
- Disraeli by Edgar Feuchtwanger
- Ruskin's Venice: The Stones Revisited by Sarah Quill
Volume 27 (1999)
Special Section: Gender in Victorian Culture
- Nancy Martha West, "Men in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction: Masculinity,
Photography, and the Death of Engraving in the Nineteenth Century."
- Greg Howard, "Masculinity and Economics in Lady Audley's Secret
- Judith Wylie, "Incarnate Crimes: Masculine Gendering and the Double
in Jane Eyre."
- Jim McDermott, "New Womanly Man: Feminized Heroism and the Politics
of Compromise in The Warden."
Virginia Zimmerman, Rev. of Gideon Mantell and the Discovery
of Dinosaurs by Dennis R. Dean.
- David G. Riede, "Elizabeth Barrett's Poetry of Exile: Difficulties
of a Female Christian Romanticism."
- Patrick Scott, "Anatomizing Professionalism: medicine, Authorship,
and R. L. Stevenson's 'The Body-Snatcher'."
- Mary Pollock, "'Christmas-Eve and Easter-Day,' Browning's Questions
in the Dark."
- Patricia E. Johnson, "Art and Assassination in Elizabeth Gaskell's
Volume 26 (1998)
Special Section: George Eliot
- Dallas Liddle, "Mentor and Sybil: Journalism and the End(s) of Apprenticeship
in George Elio."
- Alisa M. Clapp-Itnyre, "Dinah and the Secularization of Methodist
Hymnody in Eliot's Adam Bede"
- J. Jeffrey Franklin, "The Victorian Novel's Performance of Interiority:
Felix Holt on Trial"
- Sheila Sullivan, "Hands Across the Water, Crime Across the Sea: Gender,
Imperialist History, and Arthur Conan Doyle's America"
- Meoghan Byrne Cronin, "'As a Diamond Kills an Opal': Charm and Counter-charm
in Thomas Hardy's A Pair of Blue Eyes"
- Ronald C. Harvey, "The Dialogue of Truth and Art in Oliver Twist
- Lowell T. Frye, "The Ghost Story and the Subjection of Women: The
Example of Amelia Edwards, M. E. Braddon, and E. Nesbit."
- Margaretta Frederick Watson, "Prurience or Prudery? Victorian
Collectors and the Nude."
Volume 25 (1997)
- James W. Hood, "Tennyson, D. W. Griffith, and Victorian Pneumatography"
- Jean Hoffmann Lewis, "Casa Guidi Windows: Elizabeth Barrett
Browning's Aesthetic Struggle"
- Natalie Bell Cole, "The 'Foreign Eye' Outside and Within: Meredith's
- Elana Gomel and Stephen Weninger, "The Tell-Tale Surface: Fashion
and Gender in The Woman in White"
- Katherine Haldane Grenier, "Tourism and the Idea of the Skye Crofter:
Nature, Race, Gender and the Late Nineteenth-Century Highland Identity"
- Scott McEathron, "Romantic Portraiture: The Memoirs of William
Collins and The Woman in White"
- Lisa Surridge, "Domestic Violence, Female Self-Mutilation, and the
Healing of the Male in Dombey and Son"
- Anna Krugovoy Silver, "'My Perpetual Fast': The Renunciation of Appetite
in Christina Rossetti's Speaking Likenesses"
Electronic Resources / Review Essays
- "Fifteen Unpublished Letters from John Blackwood and Joseph Munt
Langford to George Henry Lewes and 'George Eliot,'" edited by William Baker
- "Thomas Carlyle On Trades-Unions, Promoterism and the Signs of
the Times: An Unknown and Nearly Unpublished Manuscript," edited by T.
- "Writing Lives: Narrative and Experience in Recent Biographies of
Gaskell, Oliphant and the Brontës" by Jessica Martin
- "Teaching Victorian Culture on the World Wide Web" by Martin Danahay
Volume 24 (1996)
- Deirdre d'Albertis, "Make-believes in Bayswater and Belgravia: Bronte,
Linton, and the Victorian 'Flirt'"
- Susan Zlotnick, "Jane Eyre, Anna Leonowens, and the White Woman's
Burder: Governesses, Missionaries, and the Maternal Imperialists in Mid-Victorian
- Stacey Gottlieb, "'Any God will teach her': Consciousness and Character
in Ruth and Aurora Leigh"
- Sophia Andres. "Fortune's Wheel in Daniel Deronda: Sociopolitical
Turns of the British Empire"
- Heidi H. Johnson, "Agricultural Anxiety, African Erasure: H. Rider
Haggard's Rural England and Benita: An African Romance"
- Karen Alkalay-Gut, "Swinburne's Twisted Circle: The Logic of 'A Match'"
- Alice Batt, "From Page to Parlour: gestures Towards a Victorian Middle
Electronic Resources / Reviews
- Algernon Charles Swinburne, "A Nine Days' Wonder," edited and introduced
by Rikky Rooksby
- "Christina Rossetti and Caroline Gemmer: Friendship by Mail," letters
edited and introduced by Antony H. Harrison
- "Victorian Database on CD-Rom," review by Patrick Leary
- "In Memoriam Web," review by Jack Kolb
- "Recent Work on the Brontes," reviews by Beverly Taylor, Mary Ellis
Gibson, and Cynthia Huggins
Volume 23 (1995)
Electronic Resources for Victorian Scholars
- David Latané, "'Presto, Engpo!' Reflections on the Chadwyck-Healey
English Poetry Full-Text Database"
- Patrick Leary, "Babbage's Children: Victorian Studies Resources on
- Stephen D. Arata, "Realism, Sympathy, and Gissing's Fictions of Failure"
- Barry Faulk, "Spies and Experts: Laura Ormiston Chant and Victorian
- Ethel S. Goodstein, "Portrait of a 'Modern' Victorian Church: W.R.
Lethaby's All Saints' Church, brockhampton"
- Emily Jenkins, "Execution: Murder and Writing in the Work of Thomas
- John R. Lamb, "Carlyle's 'Chartism.' the Rhetoric of Revolution,
and the Dream of Empire"
- John T. Netland, "The Problem of Metaphor in Arthur Hugh Clough's
- Murray Smart, Jr., "Classic Pictures in Gothic Frames: High Victorian
- Nicola Diane Thompson, "'Virile' Creators Versus 'Twaddlers Tame
and Soft': Gender and the Reception of Charles Reade's It Is Never Too
Late To Mend"
Volume 22 (1994)
- Linda M. Lewis, "'Schooled by Sin': Reclaiming Eve in Elizabeth Barrett
Browning's A Drama of Exile"
- Katherine Sorensen, "Conventions of Realism and the Absence of Color
in George Eliot's 'The Sad Fortunes of the Reverend Amos Barton'"
- David Stewart, "Of Angst and Escapism: George Frederic Watts and
Frederic, Lord Leighton"
- Mark Warren McLaughlin, "Adam Bede: History, Narrative, Culture"
- Rodney Stenning Edgecombe, "Violence, Death and Euphemism in Great
- Christopher Coates, "Exhumation and Anachronism: Walter Pater and
- Annette Federico, "Books for Boys: Violence and Representation in
Kidnapped and Catriona"
- William B. Thesing, "Vile Maternity: Victorian Child Abuse and G.
R. Sims's The Black Stain"
- Joseph S. Salemi, "The Canvas of His Life: Epitaphs in Samuel Butler's
The Way of All Flesh"
- Joseph A. Kestner, "Correspondence: Edward J. Poynter, Lord Wharncliffe,
and Others on the 'Wharncliffe Murals'"
- Carolyn Williams, "Emergent Representations"
- Joseph A. Kestner, "The Case of/for Lawrence Alma-Tadema"
Volume 21 (1993)
- Chris Snodgrass, "Ernest Dowson and Schopenhauer: Life Imitating
Art in the Victorian Decadence"
- Martin A. Danahay, "Monologism and Power in Victorian Autobiography"
- William A. Birkin, "Thackeray's Medical Fathers"
- Barbara Dennis, "College Chapels: Architecture and Ideology"
- Michael Patrick Gillespie, "From Beau Brummell to Lady Bracknell:
Reviewing the Dandy in The Importance of Being Earnest"
- Patrick J. McCarthy, "Tennyson Country: The Past Present"
- Laura J. Rennart, "Narrative in Jane Eyre: The Dialectic of
Image and Exposition"
- Edward H. Cohen, "The Chronology of Hopkins's 'Terrible Sonnets'"
- Herbert F. Tucker, "Double Takes: Victorianism, Anthropology and
the Culture Culture"
- Nacy V. Workman, "Rev. of Patricia Anderson, The Printed Image
and the Transformation of Popular Culture"; Lynne Pearce, Woman/Image/Text
; Linda Gertner Zatlin, Aubrey Beardsley and Victorian Sexual Politics
- James Krasner, "Interdisciplinary Study that Leads, Among Other Things,
- Eric Glasgow, "Thomas Woolner: Art and Literature"
Volume 20 (1992)
- Jerome H. Buckley, "Tess and the D'Urbervilles"
- Linda Ray Pratt, "'I shall be your father': Heathcliff's Narrative
- William J. Scheick, "A Verbal Trace in Browning's 'Pictor Ignotus'"
- Peter C. Hall, "The Pre-Raphaelite Moment in The Passing of the
Third Floor Back"
- Kathleen McCormack, "Middlemarch: Dorothea's Husbands at the
- Joseph Nicoles, "Dorothea in the Moated Grange: Millais's Mariana
and the Middlemarch Window-Scenes"
- J.L. and Margaret Kerbaugh, "Swinburne's Class Attitudes in 'The
- Rikky Rooksby, "Upon the Borderlands of Being: Swinburne's Later
- Donna Richardson, "Romantic Agony or Roman Agon: Hopkins's 'Spring
- John A. Minahan, "Beethovan's Pathetique Sonata as Commentary
on 'Frost at Midnight'"
- Katherine S. Van Erde, "Punch without Judy or, an Index Variorum
of Victorian Life"
- Judith Stoddart, "Ruskin's St. George and the Cult of Community"
- Gerald Monsman, "Walter Pater's Portrait of Marguerite of Valois,
Queen of Navarre: The Hitherto Unpublished Chapters IX and X of Gaston
- Mary Saunders, "Dickens and Film: A Survey of Filmographical, Bibliographical,
and Critical Materials"
- Joseph A. Kestner, "Myths of and about Art"
Volume 19 (1991)
- Margaret Diane Stetz, "Visible & Invisible Ills: H. G. Wells's
'Scientific Romances' as Social Criticism"
- Michael Timko, "Edinburgh, Ocford, Christminster: Self & Society
in Victorian England"
- Susan A. Walsh, "Ruskin's Præterita & the Mediated
- Linda M. Austin, "Ruskin's Precritical reading"
- Katherine M. Sorensen, "Daniel Deronda & George Eliot's Ministers"
- Jennifer M. Green, "Outside the Frame: The Photographer in Victorian
- Maneck H. Daruwala, "Keats & the 'Ode to Psyche'"
- Terry L. Meyers, "An Interview with William Morris, September, 1885:
His Arrest and Freedom of Speech"
- Herbert F. Tucker, "Evasions of As: Two Studies in Victorian Epic"
- Joseph A. Kestner, "Constructing Mythologies: The PRB, the Olympians,
& the Sun-Worshipers"
- Kathleen McCormack, "Rev. of Ina Taylor, A Woman of Contradictions:
The Life of George Eliot"
Volume 18 (1990)
- U. C. Knoepflmacher, "The Subject of Biography: The Victorianism
of Eminent Victorians"
- Linda M. Shires, "The Subject of Poetry: Tennyson as Woolf's Victorian
- Ashton Nichols, "Dialogism in the Dramatic Monologue: Suppressed
Voices in Browning"
- C. M. Smart, Jr. "Art in Architecture: Stained Glass of the Morris
Firm--1861 to the End of the Century--an Architectural Evaluation"
- Beth Kalikoff, "Victorian Sexual Confessions"
- Monika Brown, "Dutch painters and British Novel-Readers: Adam
Bede in the Context of Victorian Cultural Literacy"
- William E. Buckler, "The Picture of Dorian Gray. An Essay
in Aesthetic Exploration"
- Rikki Rooksby, "A Short Note on the Swinburne Manuscripts at Worcester,
- Terry L. Myers, "G. O. Trevelyan: Morality and the 'Cambridge University
Boat of 1860'"
- Joseph A. Kestner, "Art History at the Crossroads"
- Judith L. Fisher, "Classics in Context: The Victorians"
- Fraser Neiman, "Rev. of Clinton Machann and Forrest D. Burts, eds.,
Matthew Arnold in His Time and Ours: Centenary Essays"
Volume 17 (1989)
- William E. Buckler, "Oscar Wilde's Quest for Utopia. Persiflage With
A Purpose in "The Soul of Man Under Socialism"
- Jane Kromm, "The Storytelling Impulse in Victorian Design"
- Heather henderson, "Rewriting Revelation: The Autobiographer as Idolatrer
in Gosse's Father and Son"
- August A. Imholtz, "The Vergilian Context of Freud's 'ALIQUIS Analysis'"
- Parama Roy, "Sybil: The Two Nations and the Manorial Ideal"
- Harvey Feinberg, "Carlyle and Mill: Style as the Shape of Content"
- Judith Farr, "Charlotte Brontë, Emily Brontë and the 'Undying
- Joseph Kestner, "The Solar Theory and Female Oppression in Nineteenth-Century
British Art: The Apollonian/Aryan/Homoerotic Phalanx Against Women"
- Susan M. Griffin, "The Jamesian Body: Two Oral Tales"
- Patrick Scott, "Rewriting the Book of Nature: Tennyson, Keble, and
The Christian Year"
- Paul Youngquist, "Browning, GNOSIS, and the Dilemma of the Demiurge"
- Rikki Rooksby, "The Swinburne Collection at Balliol"
- William T. Slayton, "'Roderick & Rosalba': D. G. Rossetti's First
- Herbert F. Tucker, "Still in the Salvation Business: Literary Hermaneutics
in Two Nineteenth-Century Studies"
- George H. Ford, "Rev. of Patrick Brantlinger, Rule of Darkness:
British Literature and Imperialism, 1830-1914"
- Joseph Kestner, "Three Recent Studies of Victorian Art"
- Susan Casteras and Lee M. Edwards, "Hard Times: Social Realism in
Volume 16 (1988)
- David R. Riede, "Swinburne and French Literature"
- Joanne E. Rea, "Hair Imagery in Jane Eyre"
- Roger L. Slakey, "Anthony Trollope, Master of Gradualness"
- William B. Thesing, "Harvesting the Past: Arthur Hugh Clough's Estimates
of his Romantic Predecessors"
- Alice Mathews, "Clough's 'Jacob': The Victorian Doctrine of Atonement"
- Mary C. McBride, "A Question of Quality: Matthew Arnold's Critique
of Andrew Carnegie's Triumphant Democracy"
- Henry Alley, "Silas Marner and the Balance of Male and Female"
- C. M. Smart, "St. Fin Barre's Cathedral, Cork, Ireland"
- Maneck Homi Daruwala, "'The Discerning Flame': Of Pater and The
- William F. Shuter, "Walter Pater and the Academy's 'Dubious Name'"
- Joseph J. Feeney, "Hopkins, The Fussy Worrier; A Newly Discovered
Holograph--The Parish Notices of St. Aloysius' Church, Oxford, for April
6, 1879--with Commentary."
- Melynda Huskey, "'Postured Kings Standing in Enamelled Fields': Osbert
Sitwell on Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Art"
- Carl Woodring, "Rev. of 'William Wordsworth and the Age of English
- Jerome Buckley, "Rev. of The Letters of Alfred, Lord Tennyson
, Vol. II, ed. by Cecil Lang and Edgard Shannon
- Laurence W. Mazzeno, "Rev. of The Poetry of Tennyson by Alistair
- Robert Keefe, "Rev. of The Victorian Mirror of History by
A. Dwight Culler; The Art and Science of Victorian History by Rosemary
Jann; The Sense of the Past in Victorian Literature by Raymond Chapman."
- Temma F. Berg, "Rev. of A Mid-Victorian Feminist, Barbara Leigh
Smith Bodichon, by Sheila R. Herstein."
- Lowell T. Frye, "Rev. of Carlyle and the Burden of History
by John D. Rosenberg"
- Robert Kaftan, "Rev. of Marion Fay: Trollope's Satiric Fairy Tale
by Anthony Trollope"
- Elizabeth R. Deis, "Rev. of The Notebooks of George Meredith
, ed. by Gillian Beer and Margaret Harris"
- Kathleen McCormack, "Rev. of American Sailing Ships: Their Plans
and History by Charles G. davis"
- Mark Warren McLaughlin, "Rev. of Victorian Science and Victorian
Values: Literary Perspectives, ed. James paradis and Thomas Postelwait"
- Peter W. Graham, "Rev. of A Year at Hartlebury by Sarah and
Volume 15 (1987)
- Donald Rackin, "Through the Looking Glass: Alice Becomes An 'I'"
- Harry E. Shaw, "Uses of the Past in Eliot and Thackeray: A Question
- Elizabeth R. Epperly, "From the Borderlands of Decency: Madame Max
- Alan Johnson, "Inventing the Italian renaissance in Early Victorian
- C. Murray Smart, "William Burges, Creative Allusionist"
- Joseph Kestner, "The Force of the Past: The Perseus Legend and the
Mythology of 'Rescue' in Nineteenth-Century British Art"
- Thomas A. Langford, "Tennyson's 'The Hesperides' and Milton"
- Katherine Van Eerde, "The Uses of History: Cromwell and the Victorians"
- Mark L. Walston, "Voices of the Holy War: Occasional Verse of the
American Civil War"
- Timothy Weiss, "Walter Pater, Aesthetic Utilitarian"
- Richard W. Oram, "'Catalogues of War': Thackeray's 'Essay on Pumpernickel'"
- T. H. Pickett, "Four Letters of John Stuart Mill to Sarah Austin"
- Herbert F. Tucker, "Signs of the Times: Two New Victorian Studies"
- Patrick Scott, "Rev. of The Scottish Enlightenment & Early
English Victorian Society by Orland C. Chitnis"
- Kerry Powell, "Rev. of More Letters of Oscar Wilde ed. Sir
- John Archer Carter, "Rev. of Charles Dickens and the Romantic
Self by Lawrence Frank and Dickens and the Social Order by Myron
- Jack Kolb, "'The Love of Letters, Underdone': Two Tennyson Studies"
Volume 14 (1986)
- U. C. Knoepflmacher, "Revisiting Wordsworth: Lewis Carroll's 'The
White Knight's Song'"
- Frederick Kirchhoff, "William Morris's Body: Schemitizations of the
- Kathleen McCormack, "George Eliot and the Pharmakon: Dangerous Drugs
for the Condition of England"
- W. J. Lohman, Jr. "The Economic Background of Great Expectations
- Phillip D. Attebury, "The Fictions of David Copperfield"
- G. O. Gunter, "The Inflated Ego in 'The Palace of Art'"
- Patricia Elizabeth Davis, "Challenging Complacency: The 'Discords
Dear to the Musician' in Tennyson's 'Sea Dreams'"
- Beverly Taylor, "Tennyson Ludens"
- William W. Bonney, "'To-day Unsolders All': Tropology and History
in the Idylls of the King"
- Lewis Sawin, "'The Friend of an Engaged Couple': An Unpublished Short
Story by George Meredith"
- Larry K. Uffleman, "Kingsley's Hereward the Wake: from Serial
- Robert Keefe, "Rev. of Emily Brontë by James H. Cavanaugh"
- Martin S. Pernick, "Rev. of A Calculus of Suffering, Pain, Professionalism,
and Anesthesia in Nineteenth Century America by Walter J. Pories, M.
- Dennis Goldsberry, "Rev. of The Wildness Pleases: The Origin of
Romanticism by Christopher Thacker"
- Eric Glasgow, "Rev. of Gladstone, Politics and Religion ed.
by Peter J. Jagger
- Erwin hester, "Rev. of George Eliot and Blackmail by Alexander
- David E. Latané, "Rev. of The Poor and the City: The English
Poor Law in its Urban Context, 1834-1914, ed. Michael E. Rose"
- Patricia Vernon, "Rev. of Victorian Pubs by Mark Girouard"
- John R. Reed, "Rev. of Popular Culture and Custom in Nineteenth
Century England, ed. by Robert D. Storch, and Song and Democratic
Culture in Britain: An Approach to Popular Culture in Social Movements
by Ian Watson"
Volume 13 (1985)
- William W. Morgan, "Thomas Hardy's Apprenticeship to the Craft of
- Patricia Frick, "Wilkie Collins and John Ruskin"
- Jean S. Moore, "A Victorian Shop Life Remembered in John Birch Thomas's
- Patrick Creevy, "The Victorian Goethe Critics: Notions of Greatness
- Kay Moser, "The Victorian Critics' Dilemma: What to do with a Talented
- Carol Senf, "Jane Eyre and the Evolution of a Feminist History"
- Thomas Culviner, "Heroes and Hero-Worship: Not So Simple in The
- John L. Kijinski, "Charles Kingsley's Yeast: Brotherhood and
the Condition of England"
- Max Keith Sutton, "Place, Folklore and Hegelianism in Baring-Gould's
- Lawrence W. Mazzeno, "Rev. Thomas Carlyle: A Biography by
- Roger L. Slakey, "Rev. of The Letters of Anthony Trollope
ed. by N. John Hall"
- Erwin Hester, "Rev. of The Language that Makes George Eliot's
Fiction by Karen B. Mann"
- Mary G. De Jong, "Rev. of George Eliot and Community: A Study
in Social Theory and Fictional Form by Suzanne Graver"
- Marilyne J. Kurata, "Rev. of Corrupt Relations: Dickens, Thackeray,
Trollope, Collins and the Victorian Sexual System by Richard Barickman,
Susan MacDonald and Myra Stark"
- Beverly Taylor, "Rev. of The Turning Key: Autobiography and the
Subjective Impulse Since 1800 by Jerome Hamilton Buckley"
- Eric Glasgow, "Rev. of Gladstone's Boswell: Late Victorian Conversations
by Asa Briggs"
- Hayden Ward, "Rev. of Dreams of an English Eden: Ruskin and His
Traditionin Social Criticism by Jeffrey L. Spear; and Anglo-American
Landscapes: A Study of Nineteenth-Century Anglo-American Travel Literature
, by Christopher Mulvey"
- Susan P. Casteras, "Rev. of Dante Gabriel Rossetti and the Limits
of Victorian Vision, by David G. Riede" with a reply by David G. Riede
- Suzanne Edwards, "The Golden Age of British Photography 1839-1900"
Volume 12 (1984)
- Patricia A. Vernon, "Reading and Misreading in The Eustace Diamonds
- Barry M. Maid, "Trollope, Idealists, Reality and Play"
- Roger L. Slakey, "Coiled Design: Hopkins's 'Spring and Fall'"
- Katherine S. Van Eerde, "Strickland and Green: Woman Historians in
- Blyden Jackson, "Black Victorian Writers of North Carolina"
- Ernest Bevan, "Maggie Tulliver and the Bonds of Time"
- Gerald Levin, "Grant Allen's Scientific and Aesthetic Philosophy"
- Tom Lloyd, "'High Air-Castles": Carlyle's Reactions to Schiller's
- Manek Homi Daruwala, "Good Intentions: The Romantic Aesthetics of
Oscar Wilde's Criticism"
- Ross Murfin, "The Return of a Native: William Buckler, Thomas Hardy,
and the New Criticism"
- Erwin Hester, "Rev. of The Sense of an Audience: Dickens, Thackeray,
and George Eliot at Mid-Century by Janice Carlisle"
- John Stasny, "Rev. of The Omnipresent Debate: Empiricism and Transcendentalism
in Nineteenth-Century English Prose by Wendell V. Harris"
- Terry L. Meyers, "Rev. of William Morris, The Defense of Guenevere
and Other Poems ed. by Margaret A. Lourie"
- Philip L. Elliott, "Rev. of The London Muse: Victorian Poetric
Responses to the City by William B. Thesing"
- Fraser Neiman, "Letters of Carlyle, Ruskin and Disraeli"
Volume 11 (1982-83)
- John R. Reed, "Decadent Style and the Short Story"
- Charise Gendron, "Harriett Martineau and Virginia Woolf Reading
- Linda Hunt, "Villette: The Inward and the Outward Life"
- Ben Varner, "Colenso's 'Intelligent Zulu': A Rhetorical Trick?"
- Lee C. R. Baker, "The Old Clothesman Transformed: Thomas Carlyle's
- Barbara Frey Waxman, "Heart, Mind, Body, And Soul: George Eliot's
- Fraser Neiman, "La Bella Mano: Pre-Raphaelite Paintings and Decorative
- Mary Saunders, "Dramatic Victorian in Contemporary America"
- H. Phillip Horne, "Rev. of Concerning Agnes: Thomas Hardy's 'Good
Little Pupil' by Desmond Hawkins"
- Patricia Miller, "Rev. of Wilkie Collins and His Victorian Readers
by Sue Lanoff"
- Sally Brett, "Rev. of Woman and Demon, The Life of a Victorian
Myth by Nina Auerbach"
- Erwin Hester, "The French Lietenant's Woman, Screenplay by
Volume 10 (1981-82)
- Samuel J. Rogal, "The Methodist Connection in Charlotte Brontë's
- Kenneth C. Bennett, "Surrogate Religion in Our Mutual Friend
and The Mill on the Floss"
- William J. Gracie, Jr. "Faith of Our Fathers: The Autobiographical
Novels of James Anthony Freud"
- Clinton Machann, "John Ruskin and Prophetic History"
- Ashby Bland Crowder, "Ruskin's Past-and-Present Rhetoric and Modern
- William J. Bonney, "The Grounds of Vision in Tennyson's 'The Holy
- Jane Chambers, "'And Thus We Half-Men Struggle': Spiritual Incompleteness
in the Poetry of Hopkins, Arnold, and Browning"
- Fraser Neiman, "Rev. of Walter Pater's Art of Autobiography
by Gerald Monsman"
- Ross Posnock, "Rev. of Quest for Eros: Browning and Fifine
by Samuel Southwell"
Volume 9 (1980-81)
- Suzanne Edwards, "The Picturesque in Robert Browning's Poetry"
- A. R. Coulthard, "Matthew Arnold's Romantic Dilemma"
- Diane D'Amico, "Christina Rossetti's Later Life: The Neglected
- Franklin E. Court, "Boots, Barbarism, and the New Order in Dickens'
Tale of Two Cities"
- Elliot Engel, "The Maturing of the Comic Artist: Dickens Leap from
Sketches by Boz to Pickwick papers"
- Ralph Aiken, "Oliphant, Gaskell, and Eliot as Comedians"
- Keith Reierstad, "Innocent Indency: The Questionable Heroines of
Wilkie' Collins Sensation Novels"
- Peter W. Graham, "Pelham as Paragon: Bulwer's Ideal Aristocrat"
- Walter E. Doyle, "Through the Domestic Drama Darkly: Douglas Jerrold
and Early Nineteenth Century Minor Drama"
Volume 8 (1979)
- Michael H. Bright, "'Come if you Dare': The Artists' Rifles and the
- James Thompson, "Ruskin and Hunt's Awakening Conscience"
- Catherine Barnes Stevenson, "Emily Tennyson in her Own Right: The
- Nancy Aycock Metz, "Nineteenth-Cenuty Interpretations of Wat Tyler's
- Amrollah Abjadian, "Arnold and Sohrab in the Wasteland" (edited by
Volume 7 (1978)
- Charles E. May, "The Well-Beloved: Hardy's Hymeneal Harlequinade"
- June Sturrock, "A Personal View of Women's Education, 1838-1900:
Charlotte Yonge's Novels"
- Florence S. Boos, "Medievalism in Alfred Tennyson and William Morris"
- W. Harrison Daniel, "The Reaction of British Protestantism to the
Civil War and Reconstruction in America"
- Bruce B. Redford, "'A God with the World Inwound': Sqinburne's 'A
Nympholept' and Classical Stoicism"
- Nathan Cervo, "Tennyson, Hallam, Mill, and Arnold: Some Nineteenth-Century
Background to the Pre-Raphaelite Question"
Volume 6 (1977)
- Richard C. Stevenson, "The Problem of Judging Becky Sharp: Scene
and Narrative Commentary in Vanity Fair"
- Morse Hamilton, "Nature and the Unnatural in Little Dorrit
- E. M. Palmegiano, "The Propaganda of Sexuality: Victorian Periodicals
- Alice G. Vines, "Margaret MacDonald: A Socialist Pilgrimage"
- Ira Bruce nadel, "Kierkegaard and Clough"
- James W. Parins, "Poetic Calculus: Patmore's Parabolic Vocabulary"
Volume 5 (1976)
- Antony H. Harrison, "Ruskin Against Tradition: Two Theories of Landscape
Painting in Early Victorian England"
- R. W. Crump, "Christina Rossetti's Maude: An Autobiographical
- Richard Fulkerson, "David Copperfield in the Victorian Theatre"
- James LeRoy Smith, "Marx and Ruskin: Romanticism and Political Theory"
- Barbara J. Baines, "Villette, a Feminist Novel"
- J. O. Baylen, "William Morris and the Victrorians' 'Best Hundred
Volume 4 (1975)
- Patricia Ann Carlson, "'The Play's the Thing'? The Dramatic Impulse
in Victorian Theater and the Plays of Alfred, Lord Tennyson"
- James O. Hoge, "Keatsian Lovemaking in Tennyson's 'Tithonus'"
- Roger Whitlock, "The Psychology of Consciousness in Daniel Deronda
- Philip McM. Pittman, "A Christmas Carol: review and Assessment"
- Blair G. Kenney, "Childe Roland's Quest"
- Roberta R. Armstrong, "Yeats as a Nineteenth Century Poet"
- Margaret Hamilton, "Opposition to Woman Suffrage in England: 1865-1884"
Volume 3 (1974)
- Donald J. Greiner, "Narrative Technique in Wilkie Collins's The
- Donald Lawler, "The Revisions of Dorian Gray"
- Patricia D. Nixon, "John Ruskin and William Morris: Prophets of the
Modern Ecology Movement"
- Jeffrey Helterman, "Narrative Modes and the Dynamics of Passion in
The Idylls of the King"
- Michael J. Chepiga, "'The Wholesome Madness of an Hour': An Examination
of the Ironic Implications of Tennyson's Idylls of the King"
- Nancy D. Hargrove, "Landscape as Symbol in Tennyson and Eliot"
- Garland O. Gunter, "Archetypal Patterns in 'The Lady of Shalott'"
- Thomas C. Ware, "The Impact of Tennyson on the King Copetua Legend"
- Harry A. Hargrave, "Arthur Hallam's 'Theodicaea': An Influence on
Volume 2 (1973)
- Editor's Notes
- Benjamin Dunlap, "Bear Me Witness to Love: Morris's Love is Enough"
- L. Kenneth Hammond, "Dante Gabriel Rossetti's 'The Orchard Pit'"
- Donald C. Stuart III, "Bitter Fantasy: Narcissus in Dante Gabriel
- John Y. LeBourgeois, "Swinburne and Mazzini: The Origin of Swinburne's
- Philip McM. Pittman, "Tennyson in Xanadu"
- Michael L. Campbell, "Thomas Hardy's Attitude Toward Animals"
Volume 1 (1972)
- About the Victorians Institute. . .
- Arthur and Vonna Adrian, "Charles Dickens: A Twentieth-Century Postmortem"
- James E. Marlow, "Dickens and Carlyle's 'Way'"
- Rosemary Sprague, "'The Blush of Shame to the Cheek of Modesty' or
'Art is Beautiful Truth'"
- Harry A. Hargrave, "Kind Hearts and Coronets"
- Edwin R. Cheek, "Dickens and Women's Lib: Pro and Con"