For many teens, the mere thought of summer conjures images of the pool, a summer job or the beach. But for 30 rising juniors and seniors from across the state of Virginia, learning does not stop when the school year ends. These students, selected for the Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s School for Life Sciences and Medicine, spend a total of four weeks at Virginia Commonwealth University, in Richmond, discovering the newly emerging fields and advancements that will revolutionize health care and life sciences in the 21st century.
This highly motivated group of students is carefully chosen through a rigorous application process. Once students are accepted from their districts, their applications proceed to the state level and selected applicants will be invited to participate in the Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s School for Life Sciences and Medicine. These students will reap the benefits of this program long after they have left, and the lessons they learn will last a lifetime.
Mission of the GSLSM
The mission of the Governor’s School for Life Sciences and Medicine is to provide an enhanced curriculum that explores the life sciences of medicine through a systems-based, problem-solving approach that utilizes case studies, laboratory investigations and real-world shadowing experiences. Students will see the connections among the patient, the community and the health scientist.
Goals of the GSLSM
The goals of the Governor’s School for Life Sciences and Medicine are to:
- Provide structured educational modules in the life sciences that will stimulate the participants to discover the connections between the person, the community and the health scientist in the practice of medicine.
- Provide a program that will expand the participants’ view of medicine beyond their previous knowledge through investigations incorporating the tools of life science
- Expose the participants to career opportunities and professional programs existing within the framework of the life sciences and medical field
- Promote an atmosphere of intellectual curiosity, respect for others, and a desire to engage the world as a contributing member
- Generate awareness of the practice of medicine with all of its many facets through real-world shadowing experiences