2013 CTE Summer Institute on Teaching & Learning
Goals and Objectives
Although participants may come for a variety of reasons, we have found that all participants share a common goal: we all want to be more effective teachers and improve our students’ learning. With this in mind, The CTE Summer Institute endeavors to foster an environment where faculty can:
- Explore what scholarly teaching means and its potential significance for professional development and student learning
- Engage in critical reflection regarding their teaching practice
- Rejuvenate and regenerate
- Explore, and benefit from, Interdisciplinary collaborations
- Learn more about the art and science of teaching and learning
At the end of this Institute, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the most current research findings in how people learn (HPL).
- Apply what they know about HPL to their teaching practice and course design
- Create learning outcomes from one of their courses.
- Choose assessment methods to determine if those outcomes have been met.
- Identify the teaching techniques, methods, and activities that are most suitable for meeting those outcomes.
- Identify the areas of human affect that influence teaching and learning and integrate this knowledge into their teaching practice
- Integrate assessment in a more effective, deliberate, and systematic way.