Lesson Builder is a web editing software package developed by SoftChalk that lets faculty craft engaging, interactive web lessons for their Blackboard class site, without the need to know complex HTML programming. With LessonBuilder, one can add active learning components to one’s class with:
- Integrated e-learning content, using templates for style design, page navigation and layout options
- Interactive learning games, including customizable flashcards, image labeling, image hotspot activities, matching games, crosswords and more.
- Integrated assessments with six question types: multiple choice, multiple answer, short answer, true/false, matching, and ordering.
- Pop-up text annotations to define terminology, or enhance the interactivity of one’s lesson content.
- Sidebars to link lessons to additional web resources
Some potentially valuable instructional uses of LessonBuilder in higher education include:
- Development of professional web-based learning resources or learning objects that are accessible to all students regardless of computer platform and can be easily revised
- Providing content which addresses multiple learning styles through the integration of images, video, and gaming
- Deeper learning through reinforcement of built-in assessments
The CTE offers a workshop to assist faculty members with exploring the instructional uses of this software package: LessonBuilder: Create Interactive Course Content. Faculty members interested in learning more about how this software might be used in their teaching are welcome to contact Bud Deihl at the CTE (firstname.lastname@example.org).