CTE Programs, Resources, and Services
For New and Junior Faculty Members
For a complete overview of CTE programs, resources and services, please visit our website at http://www.vcu.edu/cte. This page is designed to distill from our website those programs, resources and services that would be of particular interest to new and junior faculty.
To ensure that you are promptly notified of CTE news, events, and new program offerings, join the CTE mailing list. Simply write, “Join mailing list” or “Remove from mailing list” and we will honor your request.
- New Faculty Orientation
This 3-day event, held in mid August every year, is designed to provide new faculty with an opportunity to learn more about VCU, and about teaching at VCU
- Junior Faculty Mentorship Program
This comprehensive year-long program is designed to help new and junior faculty become “quick-starters” in teaching, research and community service.
- Small Grant Program
We have always been committed to helping new and junior faculty get off to quick starts. Where senior faculty are often the recipients of large research grant funding, we try to favor our new and junior faculty when it comes to doing research on their own teaching.
- Instructional Technology Programs
Many new and junior faculty members bring with them a degree of technology savvy that we try to support and nurture. Explore some of the emerging technologies and collaborate with the CTE and your colleagues on new and innovative applications.
- Teaching and Learning Library (Books, Videos, etc.)
- Instructional and Learning Technologies
- Blackboard (Learning Management System)
- Respondus (Question authoring software)
- Lessonbuilder (Build online lessons modules)
- Inspiration (concept mapping software)
- Camtassia (make movies on how to use various programs)
- Wimba Live Classroom (synchronous online course delivery)
- Online Resources
- Teaching Large Classes at VCU
- 50 Active Learning Techniques
- 50 Classroom Assessment Techniques
- Faculty Expertise Database
- CTE Newsletter: VCU Teaching
- One-on-One and Group Consultations
- Classroom Observations
- Equipment loans
- CPS kits: aka the “Clickers’
- Digital Cameras