Checklist: Exam checklist
For an explanation of some items on the checklist, see the section “Examinations and Quizzes.”
- Is the exam written to reflect the course objectives, content, and class activities?
- Have students had practice with the types of question on the exam?
- Will students complete the exam in the time allotted?
- Does the exam have directions and are they clear?
- Have point values been assigned to each question? Are the point values listed?
- Do students need an answer from one part of the exam in order to understand or solve another? (The answer to this should be ‘No.’)
- Does the exam begin and end with easy questions?
- If this is an essay test:
- is there a cover sheet for the student’s name, or have you asked the students to place their name on the back of the test?
- have you decided what constitutes a correct answer?
- is there appropriate space under the question to submit the answer?
- Are the questions correctly numbered?
- Has the exam been proof read by a colleague?
- If the exam will be machine scored, have you asked for an item analysis?