Who can apply?
You may apply to this FLC if you are an adjunct, full-time collateral, tenure track or tenured faculty member who will be teaching during the entire 2008 - 2009 academic year.
What will be my responsibilities?
Participants will meet over a time period of twelve months for learning, discussion, and support as a multidisciplinary and collegial community. Specifically, participants will:
- Explore and discuss the current literature on ‘how people learn.’
- Incorporate information from the existing literature on ‘how people learn’ into their classes.
- Engage in a collective (i.e. group) project that will benefit the greater VCU community.
- Assess the results of their individual course redesign and learning community’s efforts and disseminate that assessment.
What will I be expected to do?
- Attend and participate in regular bi-weekly meetings during the 2008-09 academic year.
- Work with your FLC colleagues as we exploring the literature on ‘how people learn.’
- Serve as a support system to your FLC colleagues as we work through our individual plans to revise our courses based on ‘how people learn.’
- Contribute to a Blackboard community on ‘how people learn.’
- Design and carryout a group project based on the work of our FLC.
- Prepare a mid-year progress report and a final report indicating the impact of the community on the program outcomes.
- Discuss and implement an assessment plan for your individual efforts and the group project.
- Discuss dissemination of the assessment plan.