VCUBioinformatics and Bioengineering Summer Institute
Introduction to Molecular Biology - Questionnaire
Part I: Basic information
Part II: Strategy of Life
1. Do you see how DNA can specify the nature of an organism simply by specifying when and where specific proteins are present in cells?Chooseone Yes No
2. Are you comfortable with the notions of hydrophobicity,hydrophilicity, and amphipathicity (though not necessarily with how the terms roll off the tongue)?Chooseone Yes No
3. Do you see how membranes can self assemble?Chooseone Yes No
4. Do you understand the relationship between the major biological polymers and monomers?Choose one Yes No
5. Do you understand how the structure of metabolism enables us to convert the substance of other organisms into our own substance?Choose one Yes No
6. List any topics or study questions in this section you'd like us to go over.
7. Comments/requests on this section?
Part III: Protein
8. Are you comfortable with what a protein is in chemical terms?Chooseone Yes No
9. Do you understand the distinction between the four levels of protein structure (primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary)? Choose one Yes No
10. Do you see how the structure of a protein determines its function? Chooseone Yes No
11. Do you see how the structure of a protein determines its location? Chooseone Yes No
12. Can you make the connection between mutations in DNA and specific types of mutations in protein (and how they can affect protein function? Choose one Yes No
13. List any topics or study questions in this section you'd like us to go over.
14. Comments/requests on this section?
Part IV: DNA, RNA, and Translation(no notes for this section)
Now that I've made the questions, I must say that I'm not sure how effective such a list is -- how do you know what level of understanding is appropriate? Nonetheless, here we go.
15. How comfortable are you with the structure of DNA? SelectVery comfortableModerately comfortableSomewhatcomfortableNot comfortable (e.g. nature of base ratios, 3-dimensional structureof DNA)
16. How comfortable are you with how DNA is replicated? SelectVery comfortableModerately comfortableSomewhat comfortableNot comfortable
(e.g. semiconservative replication, requirement for primer)
17. Do you understand the roles of the three major types of RNAs - mRNA, rRNA, tRNA? Chooseone Yes No
18. Can you effectively use the genetic code to predict from a DNA sequence (and a given start site) the amino acid sequence of a protein? Choose one Yes No
19. List any topics or study questions in this section you'd like us to go over.
20.Comments/requests on this section?
Part V: Problem Set
21. Comments, concerns, questions about Molecular Biology problem set?
Part VI: Miscellaneous
22. Your thoughts on this afternoon's experience with programming (particularly if you haven't had one before)?
23. Comments, concerns, questions? (e.g. is this too much?)
(if it is, consider focusing on the area that would be most helpful to you)
Pressthis button when you're through with the formORPressthis button to erase all of your responses and start over