Introduction to Molecular Biology
Time: Fri May 29, Mon June 1, 9:00 - 11:30 am
Place: Bioinformatics Computer Core Lab (Rm 104), Life Sciences Bldg
Organizer: Jeff Elhai
Audience: Primarily 1st year students
Goals of session
Some of you know a good deal about molecular biology, while others of you know almost nothing at all. The notes that follow therefore may be not very entertaining or may be overwhelming. Especially to the latter group, I say that I can't tell how much is too much for you. So you tell me. Follow the notes as far as you can, focusing on what you CAN understand and what you can identify as important for further understanding. Then use the questionnaire to let me know where you are. There won't be anything resembling a lecture unless you ask for one. Instead, discussions will be based on your responses to the notes, problems, and anything else you bring up.
Before coming to the first session (Friday, May 30)
- Please read the notes given below.
- Strategies of Life
- DNA, RNA, and translation (minimal)
- Please look carefully at the molecular biology problem set, questions: B2, B9, B10, C2, C4, C6, D2, D4. Answer them if you can, but if you can't try to identify within yourself what you need to know or need to understand in order to answer them. We'll discuss them later.
- Please complete the short questionnaire (earlier the better but at least two hours before the session)
Before coming to the second session (Monday, June 1)
- Please look even more carefully at the molecular biology problem set, questions: B2, B9, B10, C2, C4, C6, D2, D4.
- Problem C6 is not easy. You may find aid in a discussion of the article by Belozersky and Spirin from which the data was taken. Consider especially carefully the embedded questions related to the experimental results and the two scenarios at the end.
- Please complete a short questionnaire
Extra help for those who need it (scheduled as needed)
- Continue working on the material above, taking note what is confounding you and identifying as well as you can what it is you need to know but don't.
- If the genetic code is getting you down, try the following tour, Alien genetic code (through BioBIKE portal, Guided Tours)
Back to Introductory Week