Introduction to Programming
Time: Friday, June 3, 9:00 pm - noon; Monday, June 6, 9:00-noon
Place: Bioinformatics Computer Core Lab (Rm 104), Life Sciences Bldg
Organizer: Jeff Elhai
Audience: Primarily 1st year students
Goals of session
- Give you a worked out example of the power of programming to answer interesting questions
- Give you experience in writing simple programs in BioLingua
- Give you an overview of BioLingua
Outline of session (click on links to reach notes)
Possibly useful material
Before coming to the FIRST session (Friday)
- Please read the notes given above, BUT DON'T BURN YOURSELF OUT. Decide for yourself how much is useful and how much is too much.
- Please complete the short questionnaire (earlier the better but at least two hours before the session)
Before coming to the SECOND session (Monday)
Before coming to the THIRD session (Monday)
- Sample a few of the syntax problems and look carefully at some of the loop problems.
- Please complete the REALLY SHORT questionnaire, giving me sufficient time to look at it BEFORE CLASS BEGINS! (otherwise, what's the point?)
- Please exhaust yourselves considering the syntax and loop problems so that we can reach completion on this last day.
- Please complete the REMARKABLY short questionnaire, considering (earlier the better but at least two hours before the session)
Back to Introductory Week