Manners and Methods in Science
Is scientific ethics a special case?
- Does science need its own set of specialized ethical principles?
- What basis is there for the belief that scientists acquire special rights and responsibilities that fall outside the domain of ordinary morality?
- What arguments are there against such an assertion?
- Here's a possible starting point:
Pimple K (2002). Six Domains of Research Ethics. Science and Engineering Ethics 8:191-205.
- Or another more general starting point:
Research Ethics Primer, by Nell Kriesberg (2003).
- Survey scientific literature for articles on scientific ethics.
- PubMed: Go to NCBI, click on PubMed
- Web of Science: Go to VCU Library, click on W, then Web of Science
- Many articles you find will be on line or in the library... read a couple!
- Surf the web (but beware!)
Back to Course Web Pages