Manners and Methods in Science
What have been instances of scientific misconduct?
- What circumstances have surrounded known instances of scientific fraud?
- Can you find/think of reasons why a scientist would fabricate data?
- Survey the circumstances surrounding some of the better known cases of purported scientific misconduct. Walter Stewart has provided a list of such cases.
- Look more closely into a case for which there is a substantial number of on-line articles or documents. The case concerning David Baltimore and Thereza Imanishi-Kari is one, the case concerning Robert Gallo is another
- Survey the scientific literature for articles on cases of misconduct.
- PubMed: Go to NCBI, click on PubMed
- Web of Science: Go to VCU Library, click on W, then Web of Science
- Many articles you find will be on line or in the library... read a couple!
- Surf the web (but beware!)
Back to Course Web Pages