Manners and Methods in Science
What is scientific misconduct?
Some assert that scientific misconduct includes practices that seriously deviate from those that are commonly accepted within the scientific community for proposing, conducting, or reporting research. Others contend that this sort of criterion may well channel research into well worn patterns, thus interfering with scientific creativity.
- What are some definitions of scientific misconduct?
- Is the common practice criterion consistent with scientificc creativity? Why or why not?
- Find what official definitions and guidelines exist on scientific misconduct
- Search the Journal of Medical Ethics for articles on misconduct.
- Survey scientific literature in general for articles on misconduct.
- PubMed: Go to NCBI, click on PubMed
- Web of Science: Go to VCU Library, click on W, then Web of Science
- Many articles you find will be on line or in the library... read a couple!
- Surf the web (but beware!)
Back to Course Web Pages