Entrance requirements and application
VCU awards a Master of Music (M.M.) degree with a track in Music Education. All degree candidates should possess teaching certification.
- Baccalaureate degree in Music or Music Education from an accredited institution
- Virginia Teaching Certification in PK-12 Music Education (or from a reciprocal state)
- Written statement of personal philosophy of Music Education – this is used to assess thoughtful reflection on larger issues of the profession, ability to express thought in clearly written English and as diagnosis for specific deficiencies in this area
- Three letters of recommendation; must include letter from a person who has directly observed applicant’s teaching
Prospective students should submit the following:
- VCU’s application to graduate study.
- Original transcripts.
- Three letters of reference.
- Cover letter and résumé.
- A writing sample on the applicant’s personal philosophy of music education.
To obtain a print application, transcript request form and letter of reference forms, visit the VCU Graduate School Web site.
After application materials have been received, an on-campus interview with the director of Music Education will be scheduled.