As a four-semester requirement for undergraduate music majors, convocation provides students with the opportunity to perform, as well as exposes them to a wide range of music and musical repertoire.
During each semester of enrollment, students are required to attend the weekly convocation class in the Sonia Vlahcevic Concert Hall in the W.E. Singleton Center for the Performing Arts.
As part of convocation, students must attend a minimum of 10 concerts and accumulate a minimum of 21 points, based on the type and level of concerts as delineated below. Students must achieve both requirements in order to pass the convocation course.
To receive credit for concert attendance, students must have a concert program with their name (written legibly) and the signature of a faculty or staff member (not a graduate student or a performer). If a program is not available, a sheet of paper with the date, time, name of performance, faculty signature and your name may be submitted for credit. The program must be turned in to the music office or the convocation program box located on top of the piano in the foyer of the concert hall no later than five days after the concert date.
- Junior and senior recitals given by VCU Music students on campus.
- Concerts by VCU ensembles given on campus.
- Richmond Symphony concerts. VCU Music students receive discount ticket vouchers; see the music office for details.
- Virginia Opera performances.
- Richmond Philharmonic concerts given on campus.
- Up to two off-campus concerts by professional-level symphonies or ensembles such as the National Symphony at the Kennedy Center. These concerts must be pre-approved by the assistant chair and the approval form must be attached to the concert program in order to receive credit.
- VCU faculty and guest-artist recitals given on campus.
- Mary Anne Rennolds Chamber Concerts. Free tickets are available to VCU Music students; see the music office for details.
- Students who perform one or two pieces for another student’s junior or senior recital may only count that recital toward their convocation requirements.
- Students enrolled in convocation for the spring semester may only count up to two pre-approved concerts attended during winter or spring break toward their convocation requirements. The pre-approval form must be attached to the concert program.