Undergraduate students interested in applying to the Department of Music at VCU must complete and submit an application for undergraduate study and schedule an audition to the department. The audition consists of several components, including performing a prepared piece, a theory placement test and interview with a department representative.
Prospective students receive consideration based on their academic transcript, their SAT I or ACT scores, their essay, two letters of recommendation and their audition. Participation in school music programs, extracurricular activities and employment experience may strengthen an application. Students are strongly encouraged to study with a private teacher prior to auditioning.
All prospective students are encouraged to arrange a visit to shadow a current student and tour VCU’s Monroe Park Campus.
Students interested in transferring to VCU Music should contact John Patykula, assistant department chair, for further information.
See admission procedures and requirements information in the Graduate Bulletin.
Important Dates for Fall 2013 Admission
- Sat., Oct. 13, 2012 - Fall Open House and Audition Prep Workshop
- Sat., Dec. 1, 2012 - Application deadline for freshman applying for scholarship consideration
- Tue., Jan. 15, 2013 - Application deadline for freshmen and transfer students applying for regular decision
- Sat., Jan. 26, 2013 – VCU Music Audition Day (Audition registration deadline Jan. 18)
- Sat., Feb 16, 2013 - VCU Music Audition Day (Audition registration deadline Feb. 8)
- Mon., Feb. 18, 2013 – VCU Music Audition Day (Audition registration deadline Feb. 8)
Transfer applicants planning to apply for financial aid should use freshmen deadlines.