- All three-octave major scales, any bowing combination
- Two contrasting solo pieces or movements of one piece
- Sight reading
Examples of repertoire
These pieces are meant to be only examples of suitable repertoire, and are not all inclusive. The choice of solos is up to the applicant. Demonstrating tone, musicianship and technique are all important in repertoire selection.
- Violin: Any Mozart concerto, Bach solo sonata and partita, any romantic concerto, Beethoven romances and Handel sonatas
- Viola: Concertos by Telemann, Bach, Stamitz and Hoffmeister, any Bach cello suite or violin partita and sonata
- Cello: Suites for cello by Bach, sonatas by Breval and Vivaldi, and etudes by Schroeder volume 2-3 or Popper
- Bass: Sonatas by Marcello, concerto by Capuzzi and etudes by Nanny or Simandl
If you have any questions, contact Susanna Klein, coordinator of strings.