Setting the stage
“We are making VCU a bright star on the national map through our commitments to student success at every level, to conducting research that matters, to saving lives, and to enhancing and empowering our community.”
– Michael Rao, Ph.D.
President, VCU and VCU Health System
William M. Ginther, Rector
Former corporate executive vice president of retail banking, SunTrust/ Crestar
William A. Royall Jr., Vice Rector
Founder and chairman, Royall & Co.
Kamlesh N. Dave, M.D., Secretary
President, Heart Care Associates PC
Teresa H. Carlson
Vice president, Worldwide Public Sector, Amazon Web Services
Nancy C. Everett
Managing director and head of U.S. Fiduciary Management Solutions, BlackRock
Thomas F. Farrell II
Chairman, president and CEO, Dominion
Michael D. Fraizer
Operating adviser, Blue Heron Capital and senior adviser, The Frontier Project
Robert D. Holsworth, Ph.D.
Managing principal, DecideSmart
Kay Coles James
President and founder, The Gloucester Institute
John A. Luke Jr.
Chairman and CEO, MeadWestvaco Corp.
Alexander B. McMurtrie Jr.
Attorney, McMurtrie, Grubbs and Associates
Sudhakar V. Shenoy
Founder, chairman and CEO, Information Management Consultants Inc.
John W. Snow
Chairman, Cerberus Capital Management and former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
Jacquelyn E. Stone
G. Richard Wagoner Jr.
Former chairman and CEO, General Motors
President and CEO, Louisiana Children’s Medical Center
As the premier urban, public research university in Virginia,
VCU’s mission is to advance knowledge and student success through its commitments to:
- an engaged, learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global setting
- research that expands the boundaries of new knowledge and creative expression and promotes translational applications to improve human health
- interdisciplinary collaborations that bring new perspectives to complex problems and mobilize creative energies that advance innovation and solve global challenges
- health care that strives to preserve and restore health for all people, to seek the cause and cure of diseases through groundbreaking research, and to educate those who serve humanity
- diversity that provides a climate of inclusion, a dedication to addressing disparities wherever they exist, and an opportunity to explore and create in an environment of trust
- sustainable, university-community partnerships that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of the communities VCU serves in Virginia and around the world
Committing to the efficient and transparent stewardship of our resources to achieve institutional excellence
Ensuring distinction in learning, research and scholarly pursuits, service, and patient care
Fostering collegiality and cooperation to advance learning, entrepreneurship and inquiry
Striving for intellectual truth with responsibility and civility, respecting the dignity of all individuals
Cultivating discovery, creativity, originality, inventiveness and talent
Engaging in the application of learning and discovery to improve the human condition and support the public good at home and abroad
Ensuring a climate of trust, honesty and integrity where all people are valued and differences and recognized as an asset
Adhering to the highest standards of honesty, respect and professional and scholarly ethics